600ml volume plastic bottle utilising 0.01 micron ultra membrane filtration to remove 99.99%of Bacteria and Viruses from the water. The filter also has activated carbon resin to remove taste odours and heavy metals. Membrane filter has the capacity to filter up to 1500lt of water, and the carbon filter has the capacity to filter up to 500lts of water.
A lack of sanitation services can quickly spread disease in refugee camps and under-developed communities. Alternatively, with proper sanitation technology, residents have more healthful living standards, increasing well-being, quality of life and the community’s social and economic development.
In the pursuit of sanitation and other survival necessities for stressed populations, STAR-TIDES is working to provide a useful database of information on inexpensive, sustainable infrastructure that can be supplied to development areas/emergency situations with minimal transportation costs.
A Dutch non-profit organization named AKVO has created a website (www.akvo.org) that is a great resource for individuals, government officials, and NGOs seeking information on sustainable solutions to typical sanitation (and water) problems.
AKVO also catalogues numerous sustainable solutions to typical development scenarios/emergency situations in its online encyclopedia named akvopedia. In the section for sanitation, they categorize available sanitation methods by:
- Toilet Facilities
- Collection & Storage
- Centralized Treatment
- Use of Products/Disposal
All sanitation devices listed have a description, picture, and information on various pros and cons. AKVO has a comparable detailed portal of sanitation and water resources.
In addition, the akvopedia site has a section labeled, Organizations Portal that divides organizations interested in water/sanitation into: NGOs, government organizations, knowledge and research organizations, funding organizations and commercial companies. Each listing has a URL to follow.
Also on akvopedia is an Approach Portal that helps walk through:
- Product/service development (how to decide if a technology or business plan is appropriate, sustainable, etc
- Service delivery approaches (community controlled vs. private enterprise, etc.)
- Promotion/Demand stimulation (use of media and market development), and
- Support systems/Enabling environment (legislation, public-private partnerships, etc.)
In sum, by going to the Akvopedia page, any individual or organization requiring sanitation resources can:
- customize a program by choosing from the various options under the sanitation portal categories to suit their individual needs.
- Identify other organizations that could might have mutual interests, and
- Get ideas about business models, financing, technical assistance, etc.
The Sphere Project www.sphereproject.org is a good resource that offers common standards used by the international community when providing support to disaster victims, refugees, and other displaced populations. Sanitation is considered to be a “basic requirement” for sustaining the lives and dignity of stressed populations. Sphere provides detailed standards for proper sanitation within the humanitarian relief and assistance arena. TIDES highly recommends that those involved in such operations become familiar with the Sphere Standards available at the above link.
Other helpful organizations are:
- World Toilet Organization (WTO) is a global non-profit organization committed to improving toilet and sanitation conditions worldwide http://www.worldtoilet.org/
- UNICEF, International Year of Sanitation (2008) http://esa.un.org/iys/emergency.shtml
- University of Florida Cooperative Extension Service: Emergency Sanitation http://disaster.ifas.ufl.edu/PDFS/CHAP04/D04-14.PDF
- National Terror Alert Response Center: Emergency Sanitation http://www.nationalterroralert.com/sanitationhygiene/
- Loughborough University, Emergency Sanitation: Assessment and Programme Design
- Oxfam, Vulnerability and socio-cultural considerations for Public Health in Emergencies (PHE) http://www.oxfam.org.uk/resources/downloads/emerg_manuals/draft_oxfam_tech_brief_sociocultural.pdf
- Oxfam, Sanitation in Emergencies http://www.oxfam.org.uk/resources/learning/humanitarian/sanitation_in_emerg.html
- Water, Engineering and Development Centre Technical Brief http://www.lboro.ac.uk/well/resources/technical-briefs/38-emergency-sanitation-for-refugees.pdf
- IRC listing of international emergency sanitation aid providers http://www.irc.nl/page/15667
- World Health Organization, Water Sanitation and Health http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/emergencies/sanitation/en/
- Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council, Compendium of Sanitation Systems and Technologies http://www.eawag.ch/organisation/abteilungen/sandec/publikationen/publications_sesp/downloads_sesp/compendium_high.pdf
- NothingButNets, an organization that will use donations for the purchase of malaria-resistant nets and advocates for malaria prevention. http://nothingbutnets.net/
- NetsforLife, a partnership dedicated to fighting malaria in Africa. http://www.netsforlifeafrica.org/
Each link will lead you to a new page that lists lighting solutions under these broad categories. (Note: TIDES does not endorse any specific products or stores, nor are we responsible for the content on the links.)
- Individual/Household Use
- Larger Technologies
- Consulting Services
INDIVIDUAL OR HOUSEHOLD USE PRODUCTS (SHORT-TERM)
- Quake Kare, Inc.
- Pee Poople
- Dri-Let Waste Processor
"A small straw utilising 0.01 micron ultra membrane filtration to remove 99.99% of Bacteria and Viruses from the water. The filter also has activated carbon resin to remove taste, odours and heavy metals. Membrane filter has the capacity to filter up to 1500lt of water, and the carbon filter has the capacity to filter up to 500lts of water. The straw also has the provision to screw onto a standard water bottle."
"A 20Lt capacity Jerrycan utilising 0.01 micron ultra membrane filtration to remove 99.99% of Bacteria and Viruses from the water. The Membrane filter has the capacity to filter up to 100,000lt of water.
Simply fill the Jerrycan with water and utilising the internal Hand pump, pump the water out through the jerrycan tap."
SureAquaBottle is a high tech, tested and approved water purification system that removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria, 99.99% of viruses including Pseudomonas, Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus and Fecal Coliforms, plus parasitic contamination by Cryptosporidium, and Giardia. It provides you and your family with the confidence of knowing you can have safe drinking water anywhere around the world from tap water, ice in drinks, lakes, and streams, on aircraft, shipboard, trains, hotels, parks and more.
"IHS directs the Roddenberry Foundation's Global Disaster Response Team (that's the philanthropic arm of the Star Trek franchise, created by Gene Roddenberry). We have developed, with Puralytics Corporation of Portland, Oregon, plus our collaboration partners the US Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, and the NetHope Consortium of NGOs, a small, low-power water reclamation unit for remote and austere environments.
"Portable, water purification kit
/3.8 liters per minute of safe drinking water from fresh water sources: wells, lakes, ponds, rivers or floodwaters.
Powered by any 12-volt DC current that can be supplied from Aspen Power Kit or vehicle power source
Production @ 2 Gallons (7.5 liters) per minute of safe drinking water from fresh water sources: wells, lakes, ponds, rivers or flood waters.
Disinfection > 99.99% Kill Rate
Watertight storage/transport case: 21.20"" x 16.00"" x 10.60"" (L x W x H)
Weight: 26.5 lbs / 12 kg
Easy Filter Change
3-Liter water bladder with integrated forward osmosis filtration. 2-chamber design, so can be used with potable or non-potable water. Filtration purity is very high (reverse osmosis level) and clog-resistant so can be used with the widest range of water sources.
Cylindrical tanks from 17 to 5000m3 those can be mounted without concrete. We can put water purification devices and use water from any river, stock it and distribute to camp or villages
The CAVE Systems Rapid Deployment Expeditionary Water Purification System is a lightweight, compact and rapidly deployable expeditionary system that provides a continuous high volume supply of drinking water. It requires no external power for the purification process. The entire system can be deployed inside one-half of a Tricon container. The basic system can purify from almost any non-saline water source: river water; lake water; canals; agricultural run-off; drainage ditches; pond water; bore holes; storm water; etc.
"Cascade Designs’ Sentinel Purifier utilizes the latest in hollow fiber membrane technology and packed bed sorbent media to remove a broad spectrum of microbiological and chemical waterborne contaminants. Its ergonomic design, compact size, mission specific modularity and tool-free maintainability make it highly appropriate for purifying water on the battlefield. Add a filtration rate of over 700 mL per minute and you have one of the most effective single-pass water purifiers ever created.
FEATURES & BENEFITS